Friday, February 28, 2014

What Does A Meltdown Feel Like?

Originally posted on Snagglebox.com



Image courtesy Gabriela Pinto

What is a meltdown?
Why do people have meltdowns?
Why do I have meltdowns?
What happens when a person has a meltdown?
Can adults have meltdowns?
How do I know if I’m having a meltdown?
What should I do if I'm having a meltdown?

I get a bunch of people coming to the site looking for answers to these questions, and it's one of the reasons that I talk about meltdowns a lot - like explaining what a meltdown iswhy you need to teach your kids about them and why they're not the same as tantrums.

It's important that the answers to these questions are easy to find, because understanding why and how meltdowns happen can have such a huge impact for the person experiencing them.

Today I thought it might be useful to write about what a meltdown feels like for me. So here goes.


The beginning


My overall day-to-day ability to function is a balance between the input coming in and my ability to process it. This is the way it is for everybody, but the difference is that for people with sensory processing disorders and autism that balance can be a lot more delicate.

To read more, click here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment