Monday, January 14, 2013

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at Home and School Book Review


I first became aware of the diagnosis of Nonverbal Learning Disability (NLD), when my daughter was diagnosed at the age of six.  I was given helpful information from the psychologist that diagnosed her and shared that information with family and school staff.  While researching the diagnosis I happened upon two books written by Pamela B. Tanguay: “Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at Home” & “Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at School”.

I first read “Nonverbal Learning Disabilities at Home”, and was amazed. Reading this book made everything make sense. I felt that after reading this book I truly understood my daughter more and why she struggles with answering open ended questions. I realized she needs to be given choices and options. If I ask “what do you want for supper” she can’t tell me. If I say “do you want tacos or spaghetti” she can tell me one of the options. This is just one of many examples of how I learned the effects of NLD on her life through this book.

As parent of child with NLD, Pamela gives great insight to the difficulties that come along with having a diagnosis of NLD and great suggestions on how to address these areas of concern and how to build upon areas of strength.

I found these books to be a great source of information and understanding not only for myself, but for family members and school staff. Each year I share the books with my daughter’s teachers and they have helped teachers and other school staff have a better understanding of her needs and how to approach teaching her. These books are available in our lending library. To check one out visit www.fmptic.org and click on lending library.

  

                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment