Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Kids who need supports are not lazy

by Bec Oakley from Snagglebox.com

When we moved house a couple of months ago, I came across a folder that the school had given us when I pulled the kids out to homeschool. It was full of notes and progress reports, only some of which I'd seen before.

On the last day of school I had shoved it into a box in the garage because I was so completely traumatized by anything with the word 'school' on it, and the garage is where things go to be forgotten.

It's a good thing I did, because putting some distance between us and the school meant that reading through the file this week only made my heckles go up to 3 instead of 11.

In the cold light of homeschool, the stuff I was reading just seemed... ridiculous. I can't think of another word to describe some of the comments made by people who had known the kids for years and who had assured me that yes, they understood autism.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here's some of the things that have been written or said about my kids during their time at school.... with one small amendment.

Click here to read more......





No comments:

Post a Comment